< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Aftermarket AR triggers  (Read 5080 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Aftermarket AR triggers
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »
does anyone run an aftermarket AR trigger?  i've been using the stock triggers which are fine, but i'm curious if i'm missing out on better triggers.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Aftermarket AR triggers
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:24:20 AM »
If you've never tried a Giessele trigger you don't know what you're missing.

Unfortunately, I have and I do know.  I need to buy one.  Their 2 stage service rifle trigger is amazing.

Offline M7025-06

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
Get a Giessele..you won't be sorry.  I've got the 2-stage on my AR and it's a sweet trigger.

NRA Member

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
Giessele makes great triggers, no doubt.

If, on the other hand, you aren't shooting a .25 MOA varmint rifle at 600 yards at prairie dogs and don't want to spend that much :)  another possibility is simply getting a set of JP competition trigger springs and installing them.

Note:  these are competition springs advertised as not suitable for self-defense purposes as they may not set off hard primers blah blah blah----legal disclaimer.  That being said, I have these springs in almost every AR I own, and after tens of thousands of rounds (literally that round count, from Hornady match to the cheapest worst Russian steel-case ammo you've ever seen) the trigger has never failed to fire any round seated in the chamber.

So, YMMV.

JP Competition springs from Brownells are under $10.  :)

In terms of actual full trigger groups, I've heard good things about the HIPERTOUCH 24, which is a fairly recent addition to the possible trigger assemblies out there.  It is designed as a service rifle trigger, yet gives adjustable weights from 2-4 pound pull.  (Other versions are even lighter with more adjustments and less pre-travel, for people who REALLY want to spend money on Multigun rifles.)

A guy who shoots Multigun at ENGC is sponsored by HIPERTOUCH, if I recall correctly---one of these days I'm going to have to ask him if I can try the trigger on his AR.

Big question is what you are going to use the AR for?  You can get some amazing triggers out there for varmint hunting and such---but you might not want them on a service/SD rifle, which you'll want to be 100% reliable.  Multigun folks tend to want both---a light trigger with little pre-travel and a fast reset, but highly reliable--so they tend to have triggers that are halfway in between.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 11:18:06 AM »
i plan on using the gun for plinking to hunting to classes to competition.  i have yet to take any rifle classes or shoot any competitions, but i would like to in the future.  not really planning on using it as an HD gun.  i think a 3 or 4 lb trigger pull is what i'm thinking.  i have an Apex sear in my M&P40 and love it.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »
the Timney drop in trigger pack has a problem with hard primers,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
I've also heard the AR Gold triggers are very nice.  Some of the ENPS multigun guys use them and say they're good.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 12:01:53 PM »
i plan on using the gun for plinking to hunting to classes to competition.  i have yet to take any rifle classes or shoot any competitions, but i would like to in the future.  not really planning on using it as an HD gun.  i think a 3 or 4 lb trigger pull is what i'm thinking.  i have an Apex sear in my M&P40 and love it.

Given that, I'd just drop in a $10 spring set and try that for awhile.  :)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »
There's another trick you can do which won't lighten up the trigger at all, but it will take the creep out of it.  You can use a set screw to preload the trigger, as posted here:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=243992

To do this, you install a 1/4" x 28 pitch x 1/2" Allen set screw up the receiver pistol grip threads. With the selector set on safe (and pushing the selector detent pin up to hold the selector in the correct sideway alignment), you tighten the set screw until the back of the trigger snugs up against the bottom of the selector (read still able to turn the selector off safe), and then the pistol grip screw is shortened for the thread distance that is occupied by the new set screw.

I've done this on the lower I usually use for multigun and it does make quite a difference.  I used some loctite on the whole mess and it's been 100% reliable, and this gun gets used pretty hard.  For the last match I shot I switched to a different lower just for S&G and I could really tell a difference when shooting under presure.  I bet if it was paired with the JP springs it would end up being a pretty nice trigger.  Hmm...

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 12:25:50 PM »
Here's a better description, with pictures:

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/firearms/ar-15/ar08.html

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 12:41:53 PM »
after buying a couple different Geissele triggers, I found I'm not a fan of 2 stage triggers. I've since switched to hipertouch 24 and 24c and love them. I also really like the jp trigger for a lower cost option. I also owned a cmc and used a timney a bunch and they are also nice, but not worth the price over a jp IMO.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »
after buying a couple different Geissele triggers, I found I'm not a fan of 2 stage triggers.

That brings up a good point - if possible you should try a few types to see what you like.  Triggers are very subjective.  I personally prefer 2 stage triggers, but not everyone does.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 02:09:48 PM »
after buying a couple different Geissele triggers, I found I'm not a fan of 2 stage triggers. I've since switched to hipertouch 24 and 24c and love them. I also really like the jp trigger for a lower cost option. I also owned a cmc and used a timney a bunch and they are also nice, but not worth the price over a jp IMO.

Drat, I forgot to mention the full JP trigger assembly!  A perfectly good mid-cost trigger.

Do you like the 24C over the 24?  (In other words, is it worth the extra money?)

...I'm not really a fan of 2-stage triggers either, for the purposes in which I use my AR.  However, I'm thinking that for most people, THAT choice will be completely a personal preference as opposed to a performance difference.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »
Check out the ALG ACT

Mine has a pull weight of 5.5 lbs, and the reset is awesome.  Very short and crisp, I've gotten 6 shots a second easily out of it.  It's seen a few thousand rounds without any problems thus far, including never seeing a single drop of lube  :D

The best part?  It's fairly cheap too, usually around $60-70

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »
In terms of actual full trigger groups, I've heard good things about the HIPERTOUCH 24, which is a fairly recent addition to the possible trigger assemblies out there.  It is designed as a service rifle trigger, yet gives adjustable weights from 2-4 pound pull.  (Other versions are even lighter with more adjustments and less pre-travel, for people who REALLY want to spend money on Multigun rifles.)

A guy who shoots Multigun at ENGC is sponsored by HIPERTOUCH, if I recall correctly---one of these days I'm going to have to ask him if I can try the trigger on his AR.

I just ordered a HIPERTOUCH 24 competition trigger for my AR-10 from Brownells after reading some good reviews.  Can't wait to put it in and try it because the DPMS one in there now is a real POS.  I built a AR-15 lower utilizing a DPMS parts kit and that trigger is a heck of a lot better and the one in the AR-10. 

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 05:06:44 PM »
Drat, I forgot to mention the full JP trigger assembly!  A perfectly good mid-cost trigger.

Do you like the 24C over the 24?  (In other words, is it worth the extra money?)

...I'm not really a fan of 2-stage triggers either, for the purposes in which I use my AR.  However, I'm thinking that for most people, THAT choice will be completely a personal preference as opposed to a performance difference.
I love the flat trigger of the 24c. I had a Geissele SD-3G and flat trigger cmc as well. flat triggers are worth it. next multigun,  fell free to try them out. I normally bring both rifles to and decide which one I want to use before the first stage.

the shooters connection is doing 20% off until the end of the year. they are out of stock on the hipertouch now but check back every day till they get in stock.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 05:31:30 PM »
ALG ACT

That sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 06:38:08 AM »
what the difference between a curved trigger and a flat one?

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 07:21:24 AM »
less perceived weight.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
That sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

I wonder if you could combine the ALG ACT with bkoenigs modification?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum