< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NRA annoyances. Nothing changes with these people!  (Read 3597 times)

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
NRA annoyances. Nothing changes with these people!
« on: March 10, 2011, 09:31:29 PM »
So, I gave up my NRA membership many years ago. It seemed to me that NRA stood more for Negotiating Rights Away than anything else. And I was REALLY getting tired of them begging for money in a ton of mail every month that cost them WAY more than they were going to get from me. So I joined a couple grass roots organizations instead.

Well - I now HAVE to join the NRA to become a member of a shooting range. I get it - they get help from the NRA - so I figured why not. A month ago I joined again online. So far no membership card in the mail. Today I get a package in the mail from the NRA. Does it have my membership card? Nope - inside is an NRA hat (that is made in China) and a letter thanking me for support. At the bottom of the letter is a "Special Contribution Reply" form. Unbelievable!!! They are asking me for MORE MONEY and I don't even have my membership card yet. And they wonder why they are losing members to other (and better in my opinion) organizations. It would be really nice if they quit wasting money begging for more money. I hope that NRA members get sick of their crap and send the message - QUIT WASTING OUR MONEY! - QUIT BEGGING FOR MORE! - QUIT NEGOTIATING AWAY OUR RIGHTS! They act more and more like our useless government every year.

Color me disgusted.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: NRA annoyances. Nothing changes with these people!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:03:18 PM »
Buck some day I would love to sit down and have a cup of coffee and talk about how this works with you.  You think this is a waste of money by the NRA...

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:44 PM »
On another forum we are having the same type discussion. We are also wanting to know what other organizations are as good or better than the NRA. Can you tell us what other organizations you belong to and tell us what they do? This isn't an ad for the NRA, it is a genuine request for info I can take to another forum.

Unfortunately no organization can get by without donations, the membership costs barely cover the magazine and postage. I try to give a little when I have it, I don't see it as a waste, and it is only when I can afford it. I don't think they expect any of us to go without dinner.

The thing I see is that any time there is some government agency attempting to remove some of our gun rights, the organization that is in the news is the NRA. They aren't perfect by any means, but they are always there. I know there are other groups, but they don't make the news, maybe it's because they aren't the thorn in the side like the NRA.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:40:38 PM »
Buck some day I would love to sit down and have a cup of coffee and talk about how this works with you.  You think this is a waste of money by the NRA...
Yep, I think 7+ pieces of mail per month begging for money is a HUGE waste of money. That's what I was averaging the last time I was a member. How can that be anything remotely close to a proper use of membership dollars?

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:03:45 PM »
On another forum we are having the same type discussion. We are also wanting to know what other organizations are as good or better than the NRA. Can you tell us what other organizations you belong to and tell us what they do? This isn't an ad for the NRA, it is a genuine request for info I can take to another forum.

Unfortunately no organization can get by without donations, the membership costs barely cover the magazine and postage. I try to give a little when I have it, I don't see it as a waste, and it is only when I can afford it. I don't think they expect any of us to go without dinner.

The thing I see is that any time there is some government agency attempting to remove some of our gun rights, the organization that is in the news is the NRA. They aren't perfect by any means, but they are always there. I know there are other groups, but they don't make the news, maybe it's because they aren't the thorn in the side like the NRA.
Personally I think Gun Owners of America is a better run organization. They battle for adherence to to the 2nd amendment. The NRA? Not so much. I am a member and I also donate extra. And ya know what? Not one time have they sent me anything ASKING for more money. I'm also a defender club level member of Second Amendment Foundation. One time they sent me something asking for more. I wrote them a letter asking them to NOT do that, explaining that is was a big part of why I dropped the NRA. They respected that. When I had written to the NRA about the very same thing, they ignored me.
 I'd suggest doing some reading on their websites if you haven't already. You'll find the answers to all your questions.

I think a BIG problem with the NRA is that they pick the high profile fights and blow off the littler ones. Hell, that's a huge contributing factor to why the NFOA was born - lack of representation and help here in NE from the NRA!

If the NRA can't cover costs on membership fees then they either need to raise the fees or cut costs, or both. I'd rather pay $100 per year and not get a mailbox full of crap than pay $35 and get all the crap I do. The printing and mailing costs have to be enormous. And it is a waste of dollars.

Of course this is all just my opinion. I'm not telling anyone they should dump the NRA. If someone is OK with the way the NRA is ran and they are joining because they want to, then that's great. I'm just chapped that I am being FORCED to join an organization that I have absolutely not trust or faith in so I can join a gun club. I really really hate that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:05:56 PM by 00BUCK »

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 06:45:35 AM »
ooBuck,

If you don't want all of the mail from them all it takes is one phone call to NRA HQ to tell them you don't want all the mail and it will stop.
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 08:29:26 AM »
ooBuck,

If you don't want all of the mail from them all it takes is one phone call to NRA HQ to tell them you don't want all the mail and it will stop.

Ditto, one of the fellas I talked to at the Cabelas event was dicussing that.  They haven't  hit me too bad yet, I'm just still waiting for my duffle bag from last year!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 09:52:42 AM »
I've been a life member since 2001.

I get a letter from them about 5 or 6 times a year.  Pretty easy to just throw it away if I don't want to see what's inside. 

While it may seem a bit wasteful, it's not that bothersome to me.  The return on the investment must work out to an advantage, otherwise they wouldn't do it.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 12:18:44 PM »
While there are a handful of effective national-level activist organizations, I like the Second Amendment Foundation because money contributed to them goes to fight our battles in the courtroom... you've heard of Heller, McDonald, and Heller2 right?  Send your thank yous to SAF for taking up those legal battles. 

However, there are also some growing state-level organizations that do great work.  In fact, we're on one of those organization's forums right now!  Forum and website hosting costs money, as does sending watchdog announcements and calls to action on bills currently in our Nebraska legislature.  I've found the NFOA forum to be the most useful state-level tool for tracking the legislation affecting my rights - and that's why I started donating money to the NFOA.  Instead of sending that second donation to a national-level organization, perhaps consider a grassroots organization in your own backyard.  Here's a link to the NFOA Donation Page.  Just sayin.

</infomercial>  (I don't want to be accused of being as pestering as a certain national-level organization...)  ;D
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 01:01:31 PM »
I've been a life member since 2001.

I get a letter from them about 5 or 6 times a year.  Pretty easy to just throw it away if I don't want to see what's inside. 

While it may seem a bit wasteful, it's not that bothersome to me.  The return on the investment must work out to an advantage, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

I am a NRA Life & Endowment member and Rick's post is closer to my experience, then yours. Sorry you've had an aggravating experience with the NRA. I have no idea why they would send you more then 7 solicitations a month- when I, who actually have given them a lot of money- would get a fraction of that. It certainly is inefficient. There is a means of 'opting out' of solicitations but I've never been inspired to take it.

As to your other issues, unfortunately what makes the NRA (or any other lobbyist) effective is membership size & money. That is why the NRA is THE gun lobby, while other great organizations like SAF, CCKRKBA, GOA, JFPFO, etc are niche groups known only to the hardcore activists (like us). They are more ideologically pure and consistent, perhaps, then the NRA, but completely ineffective on the national stage.  No one cares what Larry Pratt has to say while Wayne LaPierre is the face of Gun Owners. Also, we expect the NRA to work for us in Congress, Federal Bureaucracies, Courts, and in all 50 states but never ask for any $$? That isn't realistic. No doubt the NRA could do many things better and I agree there are some priorities that need rearranging but the very reason you love the SAF (they never ask you for $$) is why they are insignificant.  I hope all these other groups grow and put pressure on both legislators & the NRA to improve.... anyway several others issues you've raised, but the gist is I think ,while you have a couple of valid points, the NRA isn't nearly as bad as you indicate.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Mikee Loxxer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 01:08:28 PM »
The NRA is annoying with the constant requests for money, trying to scary us with the UN boogey man, and the cheap, ridiculous merchandise. Most annoying are the DVD's they send you requesting that you either pay for them or return them. But then again no organization is perfect.

That being said I am glad to be a member of an NRA gun club. Having a safe range to shoot at means everything to me and the NRA is good at making sure this happens.

Still waiting to find the JPFO, GOA, SAF, etc sanctioned matches and ranges. Hmm....

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 02:51:02 PM »
After I asked to be taken of the mailing lists, I didn't even receive a notice when my membership expired in January. Only figured it out when my American Rifleman stopped coming in the mail.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 03:43:13 PM »
ooBuck,

Hopefully this time around that will work. The last time I was a member they ignored my many requests to have it stopped.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 04:43:27 PM »
You need to write or email them and ask to be put on the "Do Not Promote" list.  I get nothing from them except my yearly renewal.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »
https://www.nramemberservices.org/faq.asp

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I'll give it a shot.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »
Having won a NRA China folding knife at Friends of NRA Benifit last night it was such a piece of crap I left it behind for the clean up crew.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
Having won a NRA China folding knife at Friends of NRA Benifit last night it was such a piece of crap I left it behind for the clean up crew.
I hear ya, and the REALLY cool thing about my China-made NRA hat is that the NRA logo is tilted significantly. It looks so bad I'd never wear the thing in public. Sadly it will be relegated to use in the garage when I am doing vehicle maintenance. At least my good hats won't get grubby, so that' a plus I suppose.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 06:34:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure those abnormally tall hats with the gold embroidery are mandatory at gun shows.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 11:11:17 PM »
I thought of you all tonight when I went to the mailbox. In it were 2 envelopes from our friends at the NRA.  Top one was a letter informing me that my membership is set to run out in April.  The second one was my new card and a thank you for my renewal. They musta came from two different offices, I suppose. As many others have said, $25-$30 a year for the magazine, $2500 firearms coverage and the $5000 death/disability insurance is at least worth it. And i will have to agree that although there are times when we question their motives, as Rick said they are THE national gun rights group that everyone has heard of.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane