< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How long to wait for CCW permit?  (Read 47369 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: How long to wait for CCW permit?
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2013, 11:31:27 AM »
Are my posts here a soufflé recipe where the ingredients are so critical to the outcome of the meal?

It is called a discussion forum, Gary.  As such, oddly enough, we discuss what people say.

You said you don't have a problem with NSP not following the law.  Other people do, therefore discussion followed.

You implied the NSP would break the law, which other people disagreed with, therefore discussion followed.

Some people use this forum as a place to pontificate their own opinions.  Perfectly fine.  However, posting them here also means that people will then discuss, comment, nitpick, support, refute, and in general, talk about what is written.

That's how it goes, in a discussion forum.

How about I quote you? " It was pretty clear what you were implying"

If it is clear, it was only clear in your head, where you are trying to make something out of nothing. 

No, you were clear.  We got it.

If the fine folks at the NSP take 90 days to issue me a permit, I am not going to get my panties in a wad about it and cause a ruckus.   

So, as was said, you don't have a problem with other people not obeying the law?

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Jutty

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2013, 04:20:48 PM »
Mine was in the mail today (envelope opened)  :o day 48

Offline bloodypiker

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »
Mine showed up in the post box today; 44 days after application.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2013, 09:55:41 PM »
Someone asked me where they are printed... and I have to say I don't know... Is the printing farmed out or done locally at the SP offices?
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline candlewax20

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2013, 01:32:20 PM »
Mine came in the mail last friday (3/22)....47 days after application

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2013, 01:55:10 PM »

So, as was said, you don't have a problem with other people not obeying the law?

There is the spirit of the law, and their is the letter of the law.  Next time you get pulled over for a tire touching the center line, or going three over the speed limit, which concept of the law do you want used on you?

I do not wish to turn this into a donnybrook.  Takes two to argue, so good luck finding someone to argue with, wont be me.  lol

Glad to see people are getting their cards in a timely manor.  Seems like the state is performing inside the letter of the law for most everyone, and the spirit of the law as well.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »
I applied for my renewal today at the Omaha NSP location. The kind lady there said for new applicants to expect to wait 7-10 weeks for your CCW permit.   :o   :(

She said 7-10 days for my renewal...   8)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2013, 06:55:08 PM »
There is the spirit of the law, and their is the letter of the law.  Next time you get pulled over for a tire touching the center line, or going three over the speed limit, which concept of the law do you want used on you?

I do not wish to turn this into a donnybrook.  Takes two to argue, so good luck finding someone to argue with, wont be me.  lol

Glad to see people are getting their cards in a timely manor.  Seems like the state is performing inside the letter of the law for most everyone, and the spirit of the law as well.

Gary, you claim to not want to argue, but then present an argument to continue to bolster your position that you don't care how long it takes.  This is a discussion board and it's a place where people discuss issues.  Why is that a problem for you.  I don't think anyone here fails to grasp the fact that you don't care how long it takes for you to get your CHP.  That's fine, but the question isn't whether you care, it's whether you understand the broader issue in play.

Your own argument can be used either way.  For example, suppose you get pulled over by the cops for a violation of the letter of the law vs just the spirit.  Does the ticket cost you any less money?  Does it change the fact that you were in violation?  Clearly no.

In this case, I would assert that the NHP is in violation of both the spirit and letter of the law with respect to exceeding the statutory deadline for issuance.  Here's why (CAPS FOR EMPHASIS)

THE LAW HAS A PROVISION THAT SAYS THE STATE MUST ISSUE THE PERMIT IF THE BACKGROUND CHECK CAN'T BE COMPLETED WITHIN THE 45 DAY WINDOW.

I'll say it again another way, the law specifically states that the state will issue the permit and revoke it later rather than delay it beyond the 45 day deadline.

The question isn't whether you are worried about it, the question is why you seem so unconcerned about the state violating your rights under the law?  It's not about the permit, it's about the state disregarding the rules set up by the legislature.  Do you see that?  Why are you okay with that?

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2013, 12:25:33 AM »
Yahn

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »
Yahn
Is there something about "discussion board" that you don't get?  I'm just wondering if you understand that the law has a specific provision to prevent the state from exceeding the deadline to protect the rights of the citizens.  Do you not get that or do you not care?

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
It's not about the permit, it's about the state disregarding the rules set up by the legislature.

Unfortunately there isn't a penalty against the state for failing to abide by the law.  IF the shoe were on the other foot the penalties would be applied immediately and to the full letter of the law.   How to force the state into compliance?   How many can afford the time and money to pursue the matter, or even think it is worth the time or money to do so?

Maybe if we could get the CHP law modified to state that if an application isn't processed within the statutory days the applicant gets their license fee back and gets their temporary permit as well.  If the final permit is issued the applicant keeps  the license fee, if not they pay it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:31:16 AM by GreyGeek »

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »
Unfortunately there isn't a penalty against the state for failing to abide by the law.  IF the shoe were on the other foot the penalties would be applied immediately and to the full letter of the law.   How to force the state into compliance?   How many can afford the time and money to pursue the matter, or even think it is worth the time or money to do so?

Maybe if we could get the CHP law modified to state that if an application isn't processed within the statutory days the applicant gets their license fee back and gets their temporary permit as well.  If the final permit is issued the applicant keeps  the license fee, if not they pay it.

They will only be accountable if we make an effort to hold them to it.  That's why being nonchalant about it is only going to make the situation worse.  I'm not implying that there's a nefarious move by the NSP to delay permits, but the only way to hold a bureaucracy accountable is to keep a bright light shining on them. 

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2013, 11:33:34 AM »
Well I put mine in 30 days ago so we're getting close.

15 more days
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline daleemt

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
4 more days will be 45 days

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »
Both Federal and State law say clearly that there is a right to bear arms, and there is a 4th Amendment right to do things in a way that government can't see you doing them; there is also a presumption of innocence that is fundamental to our law.  That means you have a legal right to carry concealed whether or not you have bureaucratic permission to do so. 

But since those who have no respect for the law have the power to put you in jail for noncompliance with their illegal edicts, you just have to wait until they get around to giving you permission.

This could be changed by our legislature, and maybe it will be, if enough patriots complain about what is apparently deliberate feet-dragging by so-called public servants.  If we have a system in place that can tell more or less instantly whether or not you are eligible to buy a gun, I'd think that someone willing to invest the money and jump through the hoops to get a permit to exercise his Constitutional right should be given the benefit of the doubt, and given a temporary permit as soon as he applies.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2013, 10:40:38 AM »
I should know this but I'm not sure so I'll ask: I assume open carry is legal in Nebraska; is that a correct assumption? 

If it is, those who apply for a permit should be able to carry openly while they wait for the arrogant bureaucrats to get around to issuing their license to exercise their Constitutional right. 

I'm not a big fan of open carry because I like to keep a low profile, and I like keeping a potential enemy as ignorant as possible about my capabilities.  But given the right circumstances I would certainly carry that way, and having to wait for arrogant bureaucrats to issue a license could be one of those circumstances.

I started a thread on Survivalistboards.com awhile back regarding concealed versus open carry, and was surprised by the number of people saying that open carry was more or less common in the area they lived. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2013, 12:24:56 PM »
I should know this but I'm not sure so I'll ask: I assume open carry is legal in Nebraska; is that a correct assumption? 

Yes, but...

...in Omaha there are additional stupid hoops to jump through to "qualify" for open carry. 

Everywhere else in the state, open carry is legal.  (I'll note that this doesn't mean you won't garner unpleasant attention, merely that it is legal to do without any further requirements.)

{snip}

I started a thread on Survivalistboards.com awhile back regarding concealed versus open carry, and was surprised by the number of people saying that open carry was more or less common in the area they lived. 

I'll bet that most of those who said so lived in strongly rural areas, with a low population density.  (Not necessarily all, but most.)

These days, most cities and such have majority-level societal groups than frown on carrying weapons.  (Not saying that this isn't stupid, just saying this is how population-dense places tend to be.)  As such, open carry being common just isn't something that happens much, if at all.

I may be wrong---but I'd be surprised to hear it.

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
These days, most cities and such have majority-level societal groups than frown on carrying weapons.  (Not saying that this isn't stupid, just saying this is how population-dense places tend to be.)  As such, open carry being common just isn't something that happens much, if at all.

Open carry being seen as a breach of a societal norm is a sign that we live in peaceful times, which to me is a good thing.  And I have to say I'm one of the ones who doesn't like seeing it. 

But if a person has his right to carry concealed arbitrarily delayed by an arrogant or incompetent bureaucracy, it's still worth considering, depending on the situation.  And if everyone who was forced to wait because of these bureaucrats carried in the open while they had to wait, maybe someone would light a fire under the bureaucrats and get them off their rear ends.

Offline Phisher34

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »
Just got mine in the mail: 42 days.
No criminal record of any kind (never even a speeding ticket) and a fairly unique name so wondering if that helped get it in under 45.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2013, 04:02:43 PM »
I sometimes watch the open carry videos on you tube.  Those videos, are trying to tick off uncle sam and I wish those people did not own guns.  Open carry like they do in Switzerland is a much better way to go about it.   Because so many people do it, and because their military is made up of home owners, everybody has a full auto rifle locked up at home, or on their shoulder.  In the USA,  open carry is more of a politically incorrect social statement, than a positive force, right or wrong. 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:05:54 PM by Gary »