< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Concealed carry for my wife & mom  (Read 5776 times)

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Concealed carry for my wife & mom
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 09:47:42 PM »
Actually no disagreement here at all. The figures I mentioned are with JHP`s.

The Buffalo Bore .380s are a solid flat point and as such will perform very differently. Penetration doesnt seem to be a problem with this loading but overpenetration might.

Gotta love a product description like this -

"You can expect 20+ inches of straight-line penetration in flesh and bone with this load. If you are worried about over penetration with this load, DON'T! You chose to carry a tiny under-powered 380 auto pistol and the trade-off is that you are now going to have to stay alive with that pistol and over penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family"

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 11:49:28 AM »
Probably a .38 of some kind that's heavy enough to soak up some recoil.

Ruger SP101's in .357 (3 1/16" barrel)are heavy and downright mild with .38's in them.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:52:09 AM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »
..... As for a 9mm auto, my brother recently bought a Ruger SR9c that he likes very much.  I have not shot it yet, but he really seems to like it.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »
The LCP has a nasty kick to it due to the narrow backstrap and light weight.  The trigger is pretty poor too.  It's not a fun or pleasant gun to shoot.

Good call on the small 9mm.  I'd take my G26 over a LCP any day of the week in terms of shoot comfort, firepower, and reliability.

For mom, check out a S&W 640 (stainless J-frame Centennial) or Ruger SP-101.  If she wants something a little bigger, S&W has a 686 3" listed on their site.  It's an L-frame with a hammer.

For used stuff, there are a few K-frame snubbies that S&W made.
NRA Life Member.

A-FIXER

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 04:15:53 PM »
I myself like the xd-9 to me compact enough to carry and large enough for control.

Offline mrsccw

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 05:04:35 PM »
From a Lady......just purchased a S&W .380 Body Guard......put 200 rounds through it with no issues......operated flawless!  I say a lady should carry what she is comfortable with and this is a great pocket pistol! 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 08:14:29 PM »
Funny, after all this my wife has taken a shine to my CZ-82.  She even went to the range by herself for the first time today.  I may not get that gun back, unless I break down and buy her the USP compact 9mm that she wants. 

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 08:26:27 AM »
I was gonna mention the Makarov and others like it, but I usually get laughed. ;)  My mother shoots my Russian Mak very well, It conceals well, has a decocker, throw in some Silver Bear HP and I wouldn't be worried too much. I figure 8 rounds of 9x18 in a 8inch circle will do more 'good', than 12 rounds of .45 in well lets say in a  general direction of the perp.

(oh yeah, They're pretty cheap too!)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 01:02:26 AM »
unless I break down and buy her the USP compact 9mm that she wants. 

Well..... you DO know that, "If Mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.", right?

You know the answer to this problem, don't ya?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:01:37 AM by JimP »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 08:22:59 AM »
Funny how she chooses just about the most expensive carry pistol though.  I need to get my CZ back though.  That was supposed to be my carry gun.  I love the thing, it's crazy how accurate it is.  12 rounds of 9mm Mak hollowpoints should do the trick.  It's a little underpowered compared to 9x19 but it's better than .380, plus accurate and 100% reliable so far.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 08:37:16 AM »
What kind of penetration do 9x18 hollowpoints offer?
NRA Life Member.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 09:22:56 AM »
Here is a link with some good info comparing 9x19 to 9x18 

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121452

Heres one showing expansion and penetration results in gelatin. Looks like it falls a little short.

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/9x18/gel9x18.htm

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 09:23:41 AM »
Somewhere between a .380 and a 9mmx19.   http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Comparisonof9x18mmMakarovetc.htm

I was also surprised to find that Silver Bear outperformed Hornady custom. as the russian ammo is what I carry.
If ya ever wanna try one, let me know, I have both a Russian Makarov and a Polish P-64 and plenty of hand loads and Bear ammo.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 09:29:19 AM »
What kind of penetration do 9x18 hollowpoints offer?

From some gelatin tests I have seen, using what is commonly available today, the 9x18 has between 9.5 and 11.5 inches of penetration.  Those same tests have shown some varieties of .380 getting better than that and other varieties are quite similar.

-Rod

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »
I am still waiting to hear from someone attacked by a gelatin block.....  :)

Offline longhair75

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 12:10:42 PM »
Friend bkonieg,

An excellent resource for women new to concealed carry is Kathy Jackson's site: The Cornered Cat.  Ms. Jackson is staff at The Firing Line, managing editor of Concealed Carry Magazine and an instructor at the Firearms Academy of Seattle

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »
Thanks longhair,

I've read some of the stuff on the Cornered Cat regarding kids & guns and it's been very helpful as my daughter gets older and starts expressing an interest in them.  I need to check out the rest of it.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 01:57:02 PM »
Friend bkonieg,

An excellent resource for women new to concealed carry is Kathy Jackson's site: The Cornered Cat.  Ms. Jackson is staff at The Firing Line, managing editor of Concealed Carry Magazine and an instructor at the Firearms Academy of Seattle

And you can preorder Kathy's new book here: http://www.whitefeatherpress.com/.  Save 10% and get free shipping if you preorder - it could make a nice stocking stuffer.  Mindy's getting one in her stocking; shhhh!   ;)
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 02:48:30 PM »
I am still waiting to hear from someone attacked by a gelatin block.....  :)

Gelatin provides a uniform testing medium.

Even if we could test on humans, there are so many variations in body types that it would render comparisons moot.

Many people see the FBI recommended minimum of 12" to be excessive.  However, when you consider that in a self-defense encounter, the attacker might be wearing several layers of clothing, obese, or have their arms in a defensive posture, 12" is very reasonable.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 02:50:37 PM »
Here is a link with some good info comparing 9x19 to 9x18 

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121452

Heres one showing expansion and penetration results in gelatin. Looks like it falls a little short.

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/9x18/gel9x18.htm

- Shawn

Thanks for the links, Shawn. 

I was surprised to see a range of 4" (7.5" - 11.5") for the hollow points. 

I'm also surprised at the penetration of the FMJ round.  I wonder if that heavy bullet played a significant role.
NRA Life Member.