< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Concealed carry for my wife & mom  (Read 5775 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Concealed carry for my wife & mom
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:37:46 PM »
So my wife asks me tonight whether I would be upset if she gets her CCW before I do.  Two days ago my mom called me up and wanted help buying a pistol for herself, too.  Are the women in my life awesome or what? ;D

Now we're discussing what gun for both of them.  My wife is a little recoil sensitive but she can handle my M&P 9 just fine.  I've been leaning towards getting an LCP for myself, but I'm wondering if the recoil of the .380 in a gun that size would be too much for her.  I've also thought about the Walther PK380 for both of them since it's almost the size of a full size gun but shoots a smaller cartridge, so recoil would be less.  My mom has virtually no gun experience, so she definitely needs something mild. 

My wife definitely wants an autoloader.  I'm leaning towards a revolver for my mom just for simplicity's sake.  We're thinking of having my wife take the CCW class using my M&P since she's familiar with it and knows she can handle the recoil just fine.  Any thoughts on either of these choices?

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
Re: Concealed carry for my wife & mom
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:41:51 PM »
I think the LCP is a good gun for smaller hands. My wife is able to get a better grip on it than I can, mostly because she has more hand on the gun. She has no problem with the recoil, has just gone out and shot 150 rounds at a time into the manure pile, then shoots any other gun avaliable at the time. Since it's not a range gun, you probably aren't going out to shoot it that much that it would become a wrist breaker anyway.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »
Thanks Dave.  How would you compare the recoil to a full size 9mm?  I don't doubt that my wife could handle it, I'm just worried she'll be intimidated if she perceives it to be more snappy than my M&P.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 10:39:33 PM »
I don't think it's any worse than a Glock 26. It isn't as bad as my PF-9. I wouldn't hesitate to get one, they are really easy to carry. The problem I have with it is finding it and getting a good grip on it when going for a little speed. It is just too small to get a good feel for it when it's in my pocket. For $280.00, it is a great deal.

A-FIXER

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 10:41:12 PM »
My gal likes the Glock 17 with the crimson.trace now I can't keep enough 9mm ammo in the house.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:54:24 AM »
I have to use both hands to load enough for the wife's G 26 too. She can turn the barrel red when there are enough of us loading mags for her. What's really bad, when we run out of ammo, she leaves and I have to pick up all the brass. Then I have to clean her guns and put them away.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 02:01:03 AM »
I cannot recommend the use of a .380 as a primary conceal carry weapon.
Not enough bullet there and comes with frequent ftf. fte. problems.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:36:31 AM »
Randy, you need to try the newer .380's and ammo. At the range they are designed for they are fine. The wife's LCP has never failed to fire or eject and has 2,000 rounds through it. While some may recommend carrying nothing but a .45, I will carry whatever I am comfortable with, and there are a lot of people including myself that are confident a .380 is the minimum, but enough.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:53:43 AM »
I cannot recommend the use of a .380 as a primary conceal carry weapon.
Not enough bullet there and comes with frequent ftf. fte. problems.

You are absolutely right. 380 consistantly falls short in penetration tests with JHPs. It used to fill a niche in a small auto loader that was better than a .25 or .22. But now you can get 9mm pistols that are nearly the same size but with a cartridge that will perform much better.

I have seen reliability issues with the Walther .380s. Plus it being a double action first shot/single action weapon it will be difficult to master. Every class I have attended and given I see people have problems with accuracy with DA/SA guns. Once they are put under a little stress it is a very difficult gun to shoot accurately. When it comes to chosing a weapon for self defense simple is always best.

If she likes your M&P, try to find one in a compact that she could try. Id bet she will like it, plus it has a consistant trigger pull from shot to shot and she is already familiar with the operation and controls.

I still have a couple of openings in this weekends Intro to Self Defense Class I would like to fill. If your Wife and Mother are interested in attending together PM me and I will make you a deal.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 09:07:26 AM »
You might consider encouraging your wife and/or mother to rent some try-out handguns at the local range and shoot them before making their decision about buying any particular gun.

Most of us have bought some guns that we didn't try first.

Then, later, many of us have wished we had.

Renting-to-shoot is a good way to try out a prospective handgun for size, fit, recoil, trigger, caliber, etc., etc., etc. before making the permanent commitment to buy.

If your range has rentals.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 11:11:36 AM »
Check out the Kahr CW9 or CW40, or step up to the smaller PM9 or PM40. They aren't much bigger than a 380. They need about 500 rounds through them to break them in, but are a great gun.

Any gun is better than no gun, and I don't know anyone who wouldn't back down from even a 25.

But why does this gun have to be an autoloader? The best gun for new shooters for self defense is a snub nose 38. Always ready to go, no safety to mess with, always one in the chamber, no slide to pull back, same double action trigger pull unless the hammer is manually pulled back. If I had a woman, and she had very little experience with a gun, she would be carrying a 38 until she had mastered the weapon of HER choice.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:51:53 PM by SBarry »
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
9mms can shoot with less recoil than most .380s.

Small .380s like the PPK are blowback operated, which transfers more recoil. Even delayed blowback guns like the LCP and P3AT don't have much mass to eat up recoil.

A small 9mm on the other hand has stiffer recoil springs and more slide mass.

Stay away from 147gr +p+ screamers and the ladies may find the 9mm to be easier to shoot.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 01:39:26 PM »
Any gun is better than no gun, and I don't know anyone who wouldn't back down from even a 25.

Im going to have to disagree with you there. This is simply something you say to yourself or someone else to help them feel better about their poor choice of gun. "Hmm, nice HiPoint. Hey its better than nothing...??"

Since there is no such thing as a crystal ball you really have no idea what level of evil you may be faced with. Are there citizens who have been sucessfull defending themselves with .25s, yes. Does simply threatening deadly force sometimes make the bad guy run away, sure. But there is no guarantee this will be the result.

Not long ago I transported a young man in the rescue squad who had been the victim of a shooting. This is a common occurrence in the part of Omaha I work in. According to him this was the fourth time this had happened to him. I can be fairly certain that he has been in more gunfights than most of us on this board, has been wounded multiple times and keeps going back for more. You think your going to intimidate this guy by pointing a gun at him? No way. You better be prepared to shoot him to the ground before he murders you. Your equipment and your skills need to be up to task. Anything less and you are living in denial.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 01:51:43 PM »
I'd second the Kahr CW9.  I have a CW40 and it's probably a bit much in the recoil department for anyone who's recoil-sensitive.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 07:53:55 PM »
After talking it over with my wife we're going to go with a compact 9mm of some kind for her.  The reason it "has" to be an automatic is my wife doesn't like revolvers.  She thinks they're ugly.  I know it's silly, but I figure it's better to buy a gun she likes and will practice with than something that may be a little more practical but will sit in a safe and never get used.  Plus, all of my wife's shooting experience is with autos.

I'm most likely going to get a revolver for my mom, though.  She really needs something thats absolutely simple.  Probably a .38 of some kind that's heavy enough to soak up some recoil.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 09:18:34 AM »
I like 9mm autos. My Dad's G19 is a lot of fun to shoot. I carry a 1911 .45 myself. The recoil can be a bit high sometimes though, so understandable if she wants something with a lighter kick. Best thing I can suggest is rent a few 9mm pistols (Glock 19, S&W M&P, Springfield Armory XD, maybe a Beretta 92FS [the DA/SA might be something she doesn't like]) and see what she likes best. If you like your gun you're more comfortable with it and more likely to train with it as well as enjoy carrying it.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »
I own a PK380, its a wonderful pistol.  Large enough for my larger hands, light, very very accurate, very little recoil, 8+1, pretty much a smart little weapon.  

Yes, there are those who dont like the 380 round.  Oh well, opinions vary.  I have near 1k rounds through it and after the very first magazine it has never had an FTfeed or FTfire.  Not even on my reloads.  Its a bit more expensive to shoot than some guns because of the higher cost of the rounds, but even with that its a good choice.  And with todays exceptional personal defense ammo that is available there is no reason to refuse to consider this as a primary weapon for someone who has recoil issues.

Ron
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:23:45 PM by Ronvandyn »
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 06:05:16 PM »
Its not my opinion but a fact that .380JHP consistantly falls short of what the FBI recommends as the minimum penetration depth in ballistic gelatin for a proper defensive round. That being 12in.

Most of the tests I have seen it tends to fall in the 7-9in range. I have seen some tests were it will make 12in but little more and there are many factors that will influence this.

You need to have a projectile that will penetrate deeply enough to strike vital organs reliably and .380 falls a little short.

Dont get me wrong there is a place for these ultra small pistols. I have a KelTec .32 that I carry when running or biking. But I am well aware of what it will and will not do and I train to use it in a very specific way.

- Shawn

www.88tactical.com

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 07:51:08 PM »
What does every one think of a snubbie in .32 H&R Mag for a somewhat less stiff alternative to a .38? I have to admit that my wifes S&W Bodyguard38 is very light and easy to carry but all she can handle in the recoil department. If she had turned it down as her carry gun I was thinking of the .32 Mag as a replacement.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 08:04:57 PM »
Shawn, I guess we disagree. I keep a magazine full of this http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=127 for personal protection. I believe  this is what my wife can handle with her arthritis. She has practiced a bit (and accepts that practice is something she needs on a regular basis)and has a new nickname "Granny Oakley" hehe. Plenty of penetration here and her accuracy (from PRACTICE) is maximized.  Others' views may vary.   RJ