< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Concealed carry for my wife & mom  (Read 5777 times)

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Concealed carry for my wife & mom
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »
I know I'm quite late here, and the decision has probably been made already.  For my two cent's worth, I 'd say it was hard to beat the G26 9mm if you consider stopping power, concealability, simplicity, and accuracy.  I'm not sure how cost would compare with other similar options.  The G26 is not my favorite gun, but for a woman in particular, it offers the small size for both grip and concealment, it is amazingly simple to shoot or clean, has acceptable recoil, is accurate enough at self-defense distances, can be fitted with laser sights, is relatively cheap to shoot, reliable, and still has a decent stopping power.  I have one, and carry it when concealabilty is most important.  Still, my Kimber 45 is probably my favorite even though it doesn't conceal quite as well.  Then again, if you just want to scare someone off, the S&W 500 is hard to beat.  There's not much chance of concealing it, unless you're wearing a tent!
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 04:36:55 PM »
Well, I did end up getting a gun for both of them, although my wife doesn't know it yet :D

I got my mom an SP101.  I know .357 magnum is too much for her, at least initially, so she's going to shoot standard velocity .38's in it (no +P's).  We tried one out for her and she really liked the way it fit her hand.  It also has Crimson Trace grips.  I absolutely hate laser sights for myself - when I've tried them I think they're slower than irons, and they magnify the inherent shake from my hands.  For her though I think they're a good idea, and she liked them when she tried them.  The extra weight of the .357 gun helps soak up recoil compared to a regular .38.  I would consider it to be a little too big and heavy for concealed carry, but she's not planning on actually carrying it- she mainly just wants a gun for around the house when my dad's not around.  It's a heck of a lot nicer to shoot than my airweight Smith - that thing is absolutely brutal with +P ammo.

My wife backed away from the USP and decided she wanted a 9mm CZ-75 compact, in dual tone (black/silver).  We had talked about buying one for her, but I ended up buying a S&W 642 for myself.  There has been no end to the grief she's given me over that, but what she doesn't know is that I have a CZ sitting in the safe waiting for her.  I was going to wait to buy one until her birthday in March, but they discontinued the compact dual tone model.  Bud's Gun Shop was closing them out, and they sold out of them about the time I started to consider buying one.  I got lucky though and found one one NIB on Gunbroker for only $20 more than Bud's after shipping.  I was still going to wait until her birthday to give it to her, but I'm excited to shoot it since it's such a cool little gun.  I think it's going to be her Valentine's day present now....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:44:46 PM by bkoenig »

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 04:51:16 PM »
I have the SW .357 airlite, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone aside from the fact that it is excellent for concealment.  The recoil is profound, to say the least (even with .38 specials), and the accuracy is severely compromised, in my opinion, by the hammerless action.  Even at self-defense ranges, in a life-or-death situation, I would not want to rely on my ability to pull the trigger and hit my target reliably with it.

Although most people would shudder to think of a gun as a Valentine's Day present, I think it is a great idea.  Maybe you'll get a little recoil action of your own out of it! :)
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 04:53:21 PM »
any CZ75 = WIN!
 ;D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't even consider an airweight for my mom - that's why I got her the Ruger.  Better grips and much more weight.  

I'm kind of wanting a full size CZ 75 now for myself.  The compact is just an awesome looking little gun.  If it shoots anything like the CZ 82 it's definitely going to be a keeper.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:11:08 PM by bkoenig »

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »
CZ75 is an awesome gun.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2011, 06:29:40 AM »
Very good choices bk. The CZ wont let her down and kinda sexy too. ;) And the Ruger is simplicity and functionality.
Backs up my recommendation to a good friend's wife. Same senerio as yer Ma; Home alone at nights while he is at work. She has back problems and working the slide of a semi sends pains down her back. Handed her the Smith 28, work the hammer, pull trigger in SA and DA, all good.  Told her "Thats what you need, but sorry, ya ain't gittin this one" >:D , so started showing them Rugers and even Judges.  Figured even a 4 inch could purse carry if needed, but would mostly stay at home. 
Keep us posted one how the gals like their respective SD tools.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »
I'm one who believes that a permit holder should carry the biggest gun they can conceal and shoot comfortably.

If a woman is willing to work her wardrobe around a full size 1911, then that's the gun to carry IMHO.  Or a Glock 17.   Or an XDM40.

Full size guns, all things being equal, are more reliable in all situations and are easier to control.  They also whack the target just a mite harder. 

It's easier to rack the slide on a full size auto gun as there's more slide to grab onto and the recoil spring is lighter compared to their compact cousins.

Remember, a gun is supposed to be "comforting", not "comfortable."

And, it's a big gun when you put it in the holster but it's a big gun when you pull it out.

(Yeah, I'm a Clint Smith disciple.) :)

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2011, 09:32:56 AM »
I am still waiting to hear from someone attacked by a gelatin block.....  :)

Clint!!! Good to see you here!! :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »

I think your average Zombie is 99% gelatin, and 1% brains he has consumed..

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2011, 08:19:06 PM »
Well, my wife had a REALLY rough weekend so I decided to give her the Valentine's day present early.  Her reaction?  "Just to be clear, all the CZ's in the house are MINE."  I think that's going to be my new sig line :D

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2011, 11:18:50 AM »

I think your average Zombie is 99% gelatin, and 1% brains he has consumed..

Greg58

I can think of several politicians I'd describe in exactly the same way. :)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2011, 11:51:38 AM »
Pretty generous at 1%
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.