< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 45 calendar days; UPDATE!!!  (Read 17067 times)

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
45 calendar days; UPDATE!!!
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:12:36 PM »
Hello to all,

Well in regards to my last post, I waited until today as I agreed to.  At just after noon today, I received my call that my permit was ready and I now HAVE IT!!!  I drove to Lincoln to pick it up.

I stayed on top the situation & I believe that knowledge of the Ne Admin Code & Statute is what made the world of difference!!!

Knowledge = power.

My actual wait time was 48 calendar days.

Have a great one all!!!
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: 45 calendar days; UPDATE!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »
Congrats!  Hopefully your experience helps others in the same situation.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline AlanS

• Powder Benefactor
    • ShadduckPhotography.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:48:19 PM »
Yes, congratulations! Great to hear!! Knowledge, indeed, is power  :)

Today is day 41 for me. Can you summarize again what steps you took -- I know I read it in another thread... was it basically a call to the CID office in Lincoln? Thanks for standing up for your (and our) rights!

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
Good Job!  Thanks for pushing for our rights. Oh,and congratulations! I imagine a walk around Walmart is in your near future,heheh.  RJ

Offline RedNeckson

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »
Mongo --- OUTSTANDING!! "Squeak Squeak"  :laugh: --- did my squeaking today sent 3- emails out - 48 days and counting --- Neal
EAT THE PAIN

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »
interesting, good knowledge to have seeing as how I am going to hang out with Mr. Zeeb for a day in a week.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 10:20:59 PM »
I started out by making a call in to check the status of my CHP.  Two weeks ago, I called and they would not give me any kind of idea.  They said it would take at least a few more weeks to get my application to processing.  I felt that nothing was really being done.

On day 42, I called to get an update.  The same story was presented- so I just let it go.  After finding this board & doing some research, I learned about the NE Administrative Code, CH-21, Sec. 009.01.  This is what made the situation better for me.

The NSP is to issue a permit in 45 calendar days after application submission.  This is true even if the background check has not been done (its subject to cancellation in the future).  The 45 days is also listed under authority of NE Statute 69-2430. 

On day 45, after reading through this information and this forum, I called and requested that my permit be issued.  When I read off the NAC & Statute, I didn't get anymore "it will be at least a few weeks."  The representative said they knew about this code.

What upset me most is that they still did not issue the permit.  They said they would need to check my background before issuing a temporary or permanent permit.  This clearly went against the above regulation and law.  They asked me to wait until today.  I agreed.

Today, I called in at 830am and asked to pick up my permit.  They said they had to wait until their person who has the experience in background checks came in to review my application (again against the code & law).  By 12:27pm, I received my call and I went to Lincoln.

Once I cited the NE Admin Code & Law; things finally were taken care of.

I believe that knowing the codes and statutes were the reason I received my permit today instead of many weeks down the road.

I still sent emails to our Governor, Attorney General, and Ombudsman.  I believe that the NSP just as anyone else should follow the law.

For this board, I used the example of license plates from another gentleman from my previous thread.  You renew them on time, and pay a fee.  If they are not paid on time; we are subject to: fines, jail, impound, etc.  You could tell a police officer that you have an overwhelming amount of bills to pay and can't pay for the plates- You still get a ticket.

The N.S.P. says that they have an overwhelming number of applications; I agree.  However, this does not nullify or void the NE Admin. Code & Law.

The N.S.P. should follow all codes & laws just as we do.

That's the story.

Thanks for listening!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:29:08 PM by just_me_mongo »
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:26:42 PM »
The worst thing about this is that the NSP wrote the Administrative code
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:35:31 AM »
"The N.S.P. says that they have an overwhelming number of applications; I agree.  However, this does not nullify or void the NE Admin. Code & Law."

Anyone have an idea on numbers? Mine was issued in Oct 2008 and is in the 850+ range, Last time I saw this discussed (year ago?) it was just over 6000 permits (if I recall correctly). 
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »
Hardwood83,
The number I recall being given from a class recently was in the 17,000 range.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »
OK spent most of the morning chasing this issue around the Capital.   I spoke to the AG's office, who I was really just talking with since they have no control on this issue.  Then went to the Governors Office since he is in charge of the State Patrol and someone from his office is to get back with me.  Then went to the Ombudsman's Office, for the few of you who have sent in your issues this week, those are the first they have received.  I had a nice discussion of the issue with Carl Eskridge who is the investigator on this and let him know and gain an understanding of the history and the statutes (this was just given to him yesterday so he is just getting going.)  He already has a call into the State Patrol to get some information from them and when he has anything that can be publically shared he will send me a note so I can share it with you.  Believe me when I tell you he is taking this as a serious matter and will be chasing it down and trying to get the State Patrol to fix the problem.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »
Just got that call from the Governors Office, to help with this issue there has been more people hired (they lost some of the folks working in this area) and the Governor has authorized getting some temporary part time help to get things caught back up.  This extra help has just come on board so hopefully they will get caught back up soon.

There is some interest from the Governors office to work with us and the State Patrol to try to remove some of the limitations on who can get a Permit and what needs to be done before one can be issued.  So it sounds like I will be spending some time working with the Governors Office this summer trying to figure out how to make things work better and get a bill drafted for next year.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 02:05:38 PM »
Good job Andy! Perhaps using the NICS system would simplify things for the NSP. I believe the background check  requirements are the same (?) and perhaps allow for a reduction in fees? Is the state criminal background restrictions for CHP the same as the Permit to Purchase?  Maybe the Sheriffs of Nebraska can give some pointers on speeding up the checks. hehheh. RJ

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 02:30:04 PM »
Good input RJ, Yes I think that we can streamline the background check some and that is a big part of what the Governor is thinking.  Of course we make it less expensive to do the background checks then the price of the permit should also drop.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 03:22:17 PM »
Andy.. thanks for the leg work.  I am surprised at the comment about the AGs office having "no control" on this issue.  Is that your opinion or were you told that?  The AG is the CHIEF Law Enforcement Authority in the state and as such is tasked with enforcing the law.  In short, it is their job.  Just curious for clarification.  Either way, thanks for the feedback.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 03:23:58 PM »
Of course we make it less expensive to do the background checks then the price of the permit should also drop.

While it's something to hope for, it's probably not likely in face of the fact they are over run with applications at the current fee level.  Factor in the fact that governmental fees rarely decrease, it's doubtful we'll get a break.

Offline RedNeckson

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 06:30:31 PM »
Andy - I also want to thank you for your leg work ,time and being the point man. I hope some of the e-mails that we sent also was a help.  I sent 3,and I was polite (even though I didn't want to be  ::) )They can't say now that they are not aware of a problem.

On the flip side of the coin, everyday that I open a empty mail box the more frustrated I am (50+ days) and have no confidence in the government process, I noticed that they processed my $100 the same day I applied. Anyway Thank You! ----- Neal
EAT THE PAIN

Offline cruiser1947

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »
Andy, I also wanted to add my thanks to you for checking up on this.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 07:16:36 PM »
Guys the emails and calls from you are what got things done, I just get to play the nice guy that is concerned and wants to help them out.

Offline RedNeckson

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 08:07:22 PM »
Andy - You deserve the "At A boy" it is a lot of work and energy plus the time to do what you do. - I know we all appreciate it. --- Neal   :)
EAT THE PAIN